Tuesday 25 May 2010

A nice day out

Me, David, Ciara and the boys went for a little stroll. We arrived at Glenmore at midday, a little later than intended, and set off towards Badaguish and on through the woods to the path to climb Craiggowrie. We stopped just after getting out into the open to have a sandwich before we plodded on up the hill.

VLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310WVLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310WThe picture before this was from behind, me riffling in my pack. Lovely. Thought this was less offensive!

Shortly after the lunch stop, Aedan said something that is becoming quite common in our family.

Mum, is that an eagle?”

You tell me.”

(From behind the binoculars) “It’s really big and the wings are long and fingered. His head is shiny.”

Yes son, you’ve spotted and eagle.”

Excellent stuff! Just soaring off the end of the rocks above us.

It took a while to reach the 687m summit, Ciara plods at my pace, or a little slower even, but plods on bless her.

We then headed east(ish) along the ridge over Creagan Gorm. 732m, towards Meall a Bhuachaille, but didn’t summit that today, we took the path back down to Glenmore.

VLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310W Towards the Cairngorms

VLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310W

VLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310WVLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310W

With Meall a Bhuachaille in over Ciara’s shoulder.

We saw this little chap, a roe deer buck, on the way back. He was looking straight at us and the wind was blowing straight at him, but he was only a few metres away and he just wasn’t bothered.

VLUU L310W L313 M310W / Samsung L310W L313 M310W I was using my new-to-me Golite Jam pack that I won from Martin, just to see how I got on with it and I rather liked it, which is good! It held everything I wanted to carry with ease and was very comfortable to boot. I was also wearing a new pair of Marmot Scree Pants, which I like very much. They were wind and rain resistant and extremely comfy to wear. My new best friends, in fact!

The hills/ridge didn’t bother me at all, but then it was only a little hill and David’s usual comment, “You could play a game of football up there!” was probably quite true on this occasion.

A really nice day out.

No comments: